Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Poison for your Brain: divisive superstitions

While attempting to find news coverage of Gene Robinson's Sunday speech, and failing to do so, I came across a video cleverly disguised as NPR coverage. Have a look for yourself:

I listened with intense interest as I wrote in another tab, and was caught off-guard when the music kicked in. I went back into the tab and was stunned to see one of the most divisive messages I've seen in a while. Apparently, the author of this nasty little nugget of demagoguery thinks that inclusion is the work of Satan.

It should be remembered that, despite the shrieks and howls of protest issued forth by the likes of Bill Donohue and this other asshole, Rick Warren managed to find something nice to say last Wednesday about Obama's choice to invite Robinson to give a prayer at the inauguration kickoff this past Sunday. Perhaps it was only due to his being shoved into the public light that he felt compelled to say anything at all, let alone something nice, but I still think that's something. Looking around, Warren seems to be standing out among his peers as calling for unity when so many others are still preaching division.

A quote comes to mind: "A house divided against itself cannot stand." Abraham Lincoln said that; so does the Bible.

Today is the inauguration; I am working and donating plasma afterward, so I'll have to catch up later on the internets.  I can't wait!

No comments: