Friday, May 15, 2009

And now for something completely different: "Tea Party"

You sip your tea as I sip my wine
And your tea tastes good so you feel just fine
And your cup's never empty
No, it's almost always full
And my wine runs out and you think I look a fool

Now I'm feeling kinda tipsy
But it feels pretty nice
Then I grab a cold beer
From the chest piled high with ice

So you sip your tea as I sip my beer
And you see me getting drunk while your vision's still clear
And your cup's still full
While my beer has run out
I wonder briefly what's next - you've never known that doubt

Now I wanna sober up
So I get myself a cola
And my drinks are always new
While your tea is getting older

But you sip your tea and I sip my soda
And we talk about our drinks while relaxing on the sofa
Now my soda's run out
So I get another drink
And you sit by yourself, but you never stop to think

That from time to time
You'd like to try something different
No, your tea is just fine
So you're gonna stick with it
'Cause the unfamiliar's scary
You don't know what's 'round the corner
And you never want to look
'Cause your tea party might be over

Now I have hot buttered rum
And that's kind of like tea
So you ask me for some
And I share it happily
But you spit it right out
And that makes me kinda sad
Because that's one of the best drinks
That I think I've ever had

But then you offer me some tea
That's been in your cup all night
And I've had some tea before
And it was good and so I try it
But it's bitter and it's bland
And you're so fucking happy with it
I just can't understand

Why you'll try nothing else
('Cause you've known nothing else)
Why you want nothing else
('Cause you've known nothing else)
Why you think of nothing more
('Cause you've known nothing else)
Why you have nothing more
('Cause you've known nothing else)

It's just the same old tea from when you were raised
But you're drinking it day after day (after day after day...)
Now you're leaving the party
'Cause I told you what to drink
But I really didn't mean to
I just wanted you to try a change... for a change

 - - - 

The above was written due to a flash of inspiration I had after reading the following passage:
There's an old analogy to a cup of tea.  If you want to drink new tea you have to get rid of the old tea that's in your cup, otherwise your cup just overflows and you get a wet mess.  Your head is like that cup.  It has a limited capacity and if you want to learn something about the world you should keep your head empty in order to learn it.  It's very easy to spend your whole life swishing old tea around in your cup thinking it's great stuff because you've never really tried anything new, because you could never get it in, because the old stuff prevented its entry because you were so sure the old stuff was so good, because you never really tried anything new... on and on in an endless circular pattern.
 - Robert Pirsig, Lila, p. 25

I'd like to hear it set to music some day (I thought of it as a song, but ran out of interesting sounding music to put to the different parts), but I thought I'd share it now because I simply may never write the music for it.  Somewhat related:  Alienation, Consequentialism, and the Demands of Morality, by Peter Railton.

No comments: