Saturday, May 30, 2009

Polyphasic Self-Experimentation: Day Twenty-Three

I'm now on day twenty-three of my polyphasic sleep routine, and things are going well.  I'm getting plenty of rest, mentally speaking, but I'm experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue.  I guess that's what happens when you bike across town twice every day, and thrice on three days each week.

I've fallen into this pattern where, every three or four days, I'll take an extended nap of three to four hours instead of the usual thirty minutes.  It made me late for work a couple of times (I overslept, couldn't really do anything about that), but now that I'm aware that it's happening no matter what I do, I'm able to accommodate the need and work it into my schedule.  I'm still way far ahead in terms of time gained by the exchange as a whole, so I call it a win.

There's been one more interesting change:  I've noticed that caffeine is helping me stay focused less and less - it's just not that stimulating any more.  Energy drinks are losing their efficacy as well.  At first, I thought I might just be developing a tolerance, so I upped my dosage, but with no effect.  I drank four Red Bulls in about two hours one day, and I was super-jittery, but still nodding off at my desk.  I found that music helps me keep my head in the game, but I need really high-energy music to keep me alert, so I busted out the Spineshank, From Zero, and other bands that I hadn't listened to since high school.  I've brought my stimulant intake back down again, and things are going pretty well once more.  Hooray for psychoactive music!  Or, if you prefer, "aural stimulation."  Tee-hee!

Also, it's great to be able to say that I'm experimenting with drugs at the workplace, since that's exactly what I'm doing.  Unfortunately, in the interest of self-preservation, I have to clarify my meaning for the very people upon whom such a statement would have the greatest impact.  But whatever - I just let it sink in for a few moments before explaining.

2 comments:

jorel314 said...

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I featured your blog on my site.

http://polyphasic.dyndns.infoKeep up the good work!

nemogbr said...

Hi:

Found you through jorel314.

Good to know others are in the same month.

Felt some trepidation since I had also started training again. I just had to reduce my workouts to compensate for my transition to Everyman.

Any plans for uberman?