Tuesday, January 6, 2009

101 Interesting Things: introduction

So one of my coworkers asked me a stupid question the other day, the story doesn't matter. The point is, at the end, she asked, "Isn't that just interesting?" I looked her in the eye and said, "Lots of things are interesting." She basically said nuh-uh, and I looked at her like she was stupid. Then I thought about it and said, "Well, I suppose that depends on what you think 'a lot' is. I'm pretty sure there are at least a hundred interesting things." She thought about that and said, "Yeah, you're probably right." Then I thought, damn, I'd like to come up with one hundred things that are just plain interesting.

Not just to me, but to everyone.

There's a problem with this, of course, and that's the fact that "interesting" is a subjective term. However, I think it has less to do with the person or the thing in question, and more to do with perspective - from a certain angle, just about anything can be interesting! I want to find those angles.

So here's my new project: I'm going to come up with 101 interesting things, taken from all fields of study, one day at a time - and post a brief article about each one. Starting tomorrow!

No comments: