Update Schedule

This blog updates irregularly.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Transphobia Busting #0: Grand Central Station

Being a good Social Justice Warrior, I occasionally wade out into the trenches of the intertubes to do battle with small minds and big, uhh, bigots alike.  I mostly try to fight my own battles (women, LGBT, atheism, etc.), though I do occasionally call-in those I know for problematic statements out of my field, and recently I did a whole bunch of Arguing on the Internet over a transgender greeting card.

The... offending? card.  From Ladyfingers Letterpress.

I found myself trotting out the same handful of arguments against the same handful of misconceptions, so I thought it would be useful for future arguments to have a series of posts I can link instead of boiling copypasta from previous comments.  Handily, I also ran into the following comic at about the same time.

This is true, but requires unpacking.  From Assigned Male Comics.  This comic has
been updated (see link), but this is what I shared and what I'm arguing, so there.

I shared it to the Faceborg and found myself arguing all over again, so I'm going to tackle the following transphobic tropes in a short series of posts:
  1. The Myth of Biotruth
  2. I wouldn't date a trans person.
  3. Isn't it deceptive? and, Isn't it homophobic?
Links to follow as the posts are complete.  Wish me luck!

EDIT:  We are wrapped up and all done!  Links are updated, and if you're reading this in the next hour, the final post will drop just before midnight.  I may or may not update this later with new installments in the event of other trans-related controversies, we'll see.  Cheers!

No comments: