Friday, November 13, 2009

Bullshit Pulpit: Chopping Down the Bigo-Tree

When something that is evil disguises itself as good, this is called "insidious." And when evil disguises itself as good and then gets everyone going along with it, that's a "tragedy." And when things get so bad that actual good is termed evil, and so evil is done by evil, calling itself good, but harming good which it calls evil, this I call "horrifying."

Wednesday, we had some real horror out in our nation's capitol:
Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

Fearful that they could be forced, among other things, to extend employee benefits to same-sex married couples, church officials said they would have no choice but to abandon their contracts with the city.

"If the city requires this, we can't do it," Susan Gibbs, spokeswoman for the archdiocese, said Wednesday. "The city is saying in order to provide social services, you need to be secular. For us, that's really a problem."
PZ Myers really hits the nail on the head with his closing comment: "The Catholic Church weighs the lives of tens of thousands of sick, homeless people against the chance to slap down the dignity of gay people again, and obviously the most important thing is to make sure the primacy of heterosexuality is preserved." (His emphasis.) This is just the latest in a long pattern, and to keep it simple and to the point, I'm going to confine my Catholic-bashing to their figurehead, Pope Palpatine, the guy without whose supposed infallibility there would be no such thing as Catholicism. Let's see: Pope Palpatine has lied to Africans suffering an HIV epidemic by saying that condoms won't be the tremendous and awesome help that they are against spreading that very disease, making a bunch of people who don't have the resources to know better even more vulnerable; he's lectured people on the idea that we need to trust a magical sky-daddy to keep the environment in good shape, and anything that goes wrong if we don't is the fault of us atheists for trying to take matters into our own hands and do some good; oh, and let's not forget the lecture on not being materialistic, from the man who lives in a motherfucking palace.

I've decided that I'm non-practicing KKK. I don't buy into any of that white supremacist nonsense, I just identify with a proud tradition of wearing pointy hoods and nifty robes. I realize that a lot of people will disrespect me for associating at all with this organization, and I understand their concerns. I mean, the KKK is an evil, rotten organization, because they're racist, and racism is bigotry, and bigotry is bad for everyone. I get that, I'm just saying that I don't buy into that part. I only take the nice parts from the KKK, and so it's really not all that bad. Just because the organization is full of bigots, criminals, liars, and otherwise evil folk, doesn't mean that I'm bad for identifying as part of that organization, right? People will understand, right?

Right, guys?

OK, kid gloves: off; rant: on. Look, it's like this: the Catholic Church is engaging in some serious and heavy delusional bigotry. This shit is fucking dangerous, and non-practicing Catholics are morally weak denialists for being complicit in the face of evil, for failing to distance themselves from this disgusting and reprehensible institution. Y'know, kinda like the Catholic Church was OK with Hitler until the guy started losing, because they'd been trying to get rid of Jews for centuries - literally. There is no excuse for Catholicism, there never really has been, but the longer this goes on, the worse it gets. These fuckers need to be stopped, and that means withholding all public support and requires public backlash, then doing all the good things they did without their poisonous help. I don't care how you were raised, I don't care how fucking precious your nostalgia is for your simple childhood, there is reality and we need to fucking face it, or we're just living in...

...oh, right. A fantasy world of sunshine and rainbows. How could I have forgotten?

Rant: off. I'm gonna go do something, y'know, not disgusting.

6 comments:

Cathy S said...

I still wonder [and still don't get it]: what's this essence of the Jews which the Catholic church 'hated'?

This is very disgusting and very out-dated: can't they just grow up? I feel like tearing my hair out again!

D said...

There's a million different answers for that. None of 'em are satisfying. It's all bullshit and lies.

Even if they're right on God, using anything as an excuse to hate is just plain wrong. I share your frustrations. My best friend's spouse is Catholic, doesn't believe the pope but finds meaning in going through the motions. That causes me no end of frustration, but I've learned to deal with it. So far.

Sarah Braasch said...

Amen sister.

D said...

Ha, yeah, I guess I kinda let my inner ideologue show, didn't I?

Still. I'd like to see someone refute anything I said, or come up with a better plan. Oh, right, that's where people like you come in!

Keep up the good work! And I'll keep cheerleading from my internet mountaintop here. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG you are SO going to hell. Why? Because Jesus loves you! ;-)

D said...

Super-true!

That's the best kind of true!